Thursday 8 May 2008

Berlin, Loving Europe and missing home (or am I?)

When we last joined our hero, he was in Prague leaving for Berlin, and but a week away from the end of his magnificent Langan Adventure...

First off, I think I love Berlin as much if not more than Prague. We're staying in this fun and convinent little hostel in the east, right outside the tube. Graffitti ranging from gang tags to gigantic muriels adorn the streets, and the more you get into Berlin the more you see how varied it is. Some places are a concrete urban nightmare, others gothic masterpieces, others plastic and glass buisness goliaths and others brutal reminders of a deeply disturbing history...
Plenty to do as a tourist. We saw bits of the Wall, the reichstag, checkpoint charlie, museums, galleries, climbed a huge tower...its really interesting to see up high which used to be east and which used to be west. Its clear thanks to the concrete blocks juttinmg out of the eastern landscape.
The city feels cultured like prague just deeper. More complex. The tube is larger, but just as easy to get round, plenty of places to shop too! Methinks joe would like this arty city.
Me and sam found on our second night the best bar ever, part 70's shiek part leftovers of east berlin, th eplace is warm and friendly serving lots of beer and absinthe. Great city.
Dad got in yesterday! I feel I'm settling back into family life (and british life) already! Tonight we went to the Opera! The Magic Flute, no less!
Europe is a wonderful place, its cemented in my 'places I want to come back to' list. Apart from the fact we've been eating out of lidyl till dad got here, its been great!
It's just now...well tommorow I'm coming home. Back in India I couldn't wait later on in Europe I could have waited longer, and now I just don't know. Do I want to get back to the comforts of home? But I love this life so much! But its full of stres, and those comforts get dull and old real quick...but its normal and theres money and stability, not to mention comic books...and GTA4!
Tonight I feel like its a little bit of lose-lose, win-win. I'm tired. Sigh. But I also feel like I've fulfilled all the places I want to go travelling for now...obviously theres still hundreds of places Iw ant to go, but for now I'm ready to settle...or am I? I heard a couple of times that coming home was the hardest part, but not in the way I expected!
I think I just want to get it over with, whatever. Let tommorow rush past, and be home in time for breakfast. and my own bed. Which has got a fair amount fo use from cath and her friends, I hope all have vacated by the time I get back. (Hint hint, cath cath, clean clean, my room room)
Tommorow is relaxing by a lake just outside of Berlin. Our flights in the evening, we'll be beack super early in the morning and the next day...perhaps my final blog!
Oh and for those less clever than me, or those to busy playing GTA4 (or medal of honour apparentley, Joe you have a funny way for compensating for a lack of next gen...) there IS a NEW DARK KNIGHT TRAILER online, you would be fools to miss it. Not to mention an awesome incredible hulk second trailer too! (the first one also kicks ass). I'll be seeing you all very soon!!!!!

No comments: